Translate

Monday, January 21, 2013

When We are Faithless, God is Faithful

If we are faithless,
He remains faithful;
He cannot deny Himself.
2 Timothy 2:13 (NKJV)


My Faithlessness
Faithless. Now that’s a loaded word. It’s not a word that anyone would want to use to describe themselves. Yet there have been so many times I have been faithless and absent from my friendships, family, and God. 

However, my faithlessness could be difficult to spot because I may have been physically present with my friends and family. I might also be attending church every time the door was open. However, I would be emotionally and spiritually absent from all of my relationships. There had been times when I could not be relied on to be loving in my relationships with friends, family, and God. I truly have been faithless.

The most recent time this spiritual and emotional absence occurred I was not in a good place in my walk with God. It was affecting every other area of my life, especially my close friendships. 

Thankfully, two of my amazing friends, out of love, told me they were concerned about how different (joyless, defensive, emotional, selfish) I had been of late. It was one of the most loving conversations anyone had ever had with me. So I was able to go into Christmas break with the attitude of, “okay God we need to do some serious open heart surgery on my heart.” I was able to rest in God’s comfort and peace over the break, and as I was rereading Captivating, I was renewed by God's love.

God's Faithfulness
Now I love 2 Timothy 2:13 because it tells us no matter how faithless we are, no matter how far we run, and what we do, God is faithful. “He cannot deny Himself.” Showing us that it is in God’s very nature to be faithful. Being unfaithful would be denying his very nature, to the point where it would be denying himself.

So what do we do when we are unfaithful? The bible also talks about God’s faithfulness in 1 John 1:9 (NIV): 
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

We are also told in Psalm 36:5 (NIV): 
Your love, Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies.

When we are unfaithful, run to God, His love for you is never-ending, unfailing, and he is faithful to forgive us of our unfaithfulness. Simply come to him and lay your burdens at his feet, and rest in his love.


A Few Songs about God’s faithfulness:
1. Your Love Oh Lord (Psalm 36) - Third Day
2. God is Able - Hillsong
3. Every Time You Run - Manafest
4. You are I Am - MercyMe

How have you seen God's faithfulness at work in your life? Share in the comments below.
 
*originally published on 1/21/13 and updated on 1/1/19

No comments:

Post a Comment