Translate

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Self-esteem & Finding Worth: By Realizing Who You Are

 
On Struggling With Self-Esteem and Pride
I have struggled with self-esteem for as long as I can remember. I am writing this because I know many of you also struggle. When I am not fighting self-esteem, I'm usually fighting pride. Why self-esteem and pride? They seem opposite but are absolutely linked. When I was a child I began this self-destructive system of thinking to combat my insecurities. I would attempt to inflate myself by comparing myself to others. Some comparisons would inflate my pride. Others would chip away at my self-esteem.

My self-esteem hit an all-time low in junior high, when I was a child of God but had stopped trying to move forward in our relationship. There is no stationary with God! Like a river, if you think you are just sitting there you are actually moving farther away. Junior high, a difficult for anyone: with all the hormonal changes, drama, and the changes in peer relationships. Going through all that without seeking the love and guidance of my savior left me in dire straits. So when I finally began walking with God again my self-worth was in the gutter. That is when I wrote this poem:
 

A Poem About My Struggle With Self-esteem
Not Just Another Frog
May 21, 2009

Life is empty.  
The world is gray.
I’m all alone at the end of the day.
I’ve been running down a bleak path,  
until my strength just will not come back.

I am filthy,
an utter mess.
The world has forsaken me.
I can feel no less.

Then you came and took my hand,
washed away the grime,
and willed me to stand.

Now maybe I’m crazy,
otherwise I’ve gone insane.
Yet I need to just stand here and scream your name.
The colors are changing;
the world is no longer the same.
Songs have meaning that I previously could not explain.

You’re the only one who has cared enough to take my hand and say,  
Darling you are beautiful in every way.
When others let me down,
then turn away and forget.
You’re there waiting to hold me,
you never forget.
When words come from people with snake-like tongues,
they can tear me down,
for many a wound they have stung.

But you’ll lift me up with you scarred hands and say,
“My child, you don’t believe a word.
They truly are blind,
if they cannot see.
You are wonderful,
so come walk with me.”

Everyday when people fail to know the real me,
I can stand among them.
In spite of their wrong,
for I am a Princess
and my Prince is strong.

Inspired by:           
But God demonstrates his own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8, NIV).

Charm is deceitful and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised. (Proverbs 31:30, NIV).


How I Have Battled for Self-esteem
To this day, I face a daily battle to see myself the way God sees me, and to love myself in a humble way. According to The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth am I here for?, "Humility isn't thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less." Some days are easier than others but by God's grace he is moving in my life, and showing me that I am fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14).

Jesus would not have become human to be mocked, betrayed, abandoned, beaten, and murdered for someone who is worthless. Instead, he laid down his life because he loves us. It is in our relationship with him that we find worth and true humility.
If you are wrapped up in pride or are lacking in self-worth look to the cross. There you find humility. Yes it will be difficult! But we serve The Prince of Peace, King of Kings, and Lord of Lords. And we are children of God and our Prince IS STRONG!


 Additional material dealing with the self-worth :

Videos:
  1. The Chisel Skit: The Skit Guys 
  2. A Snoodle’s Tale From Veggie Tales 
  3. Lifehouse Everything Skit

Songs:
  1. Help Me Believe: Donna Stuart  
  2. Beloved & House of Mirrors: Tenth Avenue North 
  3. More Beautiful You: Johnny Diaz 
  4. Who Says: Selena Gomez & the Scene
  5. Someone Worth Dying For: MIKESCHAIR  
  6. Gold: Britt Nicole 
  7. Firework: Katy Perry                                                                             

    What are songs or stories that remind you of your worth? Share in the comments below.
*Originally published on 7/25/12 and updated on 12/29/2018 

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome post!! I love this because it is what I have been struggling with too. I have always loved inspirational romance novels and Disney movies because of the happy endings and everything working out perfectly, but God has been dealing with me about these things and I was lead to your blog.

    ~You have an awesome blog and I am glad it came my way! Oh and Emily sent me here!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to share this on my blog-
    confessionsofmonae.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete